Easily Change Windows 8 1 Edition Without Reinstalling Petri IT Knowledgebase

The other advantage of upgrading to Windows 8.1 Pro is Windows Media Center. While Windows 8.1 Pro doesn’t include Media Center by default, one can purchase and install Media Center add-on on Pro edition. Windows 8.1 edition users have no options but install third-party media center programs such as the XBMC. All I want is the ability to hide AT LEAST driver updates.

change windows 8.1 home to pro

Check to see that you have the right edition by looking at the computer properties. In the result page, click on Get more features with a new edition of Windows. You could also simply type WindowsAnytimeUpgradeUI.exe in the Run command. Just like its predecessors, Windows 8.1 also lets you upgrade from a lower to higher edition to get more features.

Trying to upgrade 8.1 home to pro

You would have to purchase a PRO key then enter it in add features... Do not do anything, as it will add the relevant features and when it’s done, log on normally. You will see the Add features to Windows 8.1 window and it should tell you all is okay. In the Add features to Windows 8.1 window click I already have a product key (assuming, of course, you have one; if not, purchase one). Enter your product key and wait for a second. If it’s correct, you will see a message saying “Your key works.

There was nothing in the package or on the CD installation to indicate that I should go to the control panel and settings to apply this upgrade. Once you have the product key, click I already have a product key. The upgrade from 8.1 to 8.1 Pro was also sold in stores as the 'Pro Pack'. It was a boxed product, although all it contained was a licence key. It may be worth comparing prices for the Pro Pack too. I saw that Pro users will have some benefits, like choosing updates.

Easily Change Windows 8.1 Edition Without Reinstalling

If it’s not correct, you’ll see a message saying “This key won’t work. Check it and try again, or try a different key”. When I asked one of our IT people at my current workplace to order a new computer for me and make sure it has Windows 8.1 on it, I did not think I had to specify what exact edition of Windows 8.1 I wanted. However, as it turned out, when I got the computer and I attempted to add it to the corporate network Active Directory domain, I couldn’t. At first I couldn’t think of a reason why this would happen, but I am not used to working with lower-end editions of Windows, and simply forgot that Windows 8.1 did not have the option to join to a domain. In addition to all features of Windows 8.1 edition, Windows 8.1 Pro edition includes boot from VHD, client Hyper-V, domain join, file system encryption, remote desktop, group policy, and BitLocker features .

change windows 8.1 home to pro

Look at Steam, Xbox Live, PSN and that lind of services, they force you to update. That ensures that every user has the last edition, and it will reduce the number of Average Joes sending their PC "to repair", just because the lack of updates. Just upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro. These are simple steps yet I would never have been able to discover them on my own.

How To Upgrade Windows 8.1 To Windows 8.1 Pro

That means if I don't do anything, the latest non-beta drivers will be forced installed. But say I have a problem, I install specific drivers , check for update after, see that the drivers that caused me problems, I can hide it. If you used that feature, you know that it only hides the specific version under previous versions of Windows.

change windows 8.1 home to pro

So, if I hide Nvidia drivers, next update of Nvidia drivers delivered through Windows Update, it will appear again. To switch between the editions of Windows you need to use a tool called Windows Anytime Upgrade, which is installed on your computer. My laptop came with Windows 8.0 Core OEM. I used Add Features to go to Pro by just typing in my MSDN Pro Retail key. It just unlocked the Pro features that were already installed.

If you have a PC running Windows 8.1 edition, you may want to upgrade to the Pro edition to get more features. Create a free account today to participate in forum conversations, comment on posts and more.

change windows 8.1 home to pro

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

24 things to build in Minecraft: building ideas for 1 20

Awasome Are There Cruises To Northern Lights Ideas

Review Of Milwaukee Light Ideas